Pages

04 November 2022

It's Never As Bad As It Looks

Suquamish, WA - 4 Nov 2022

     The terrible windstorm we were promised has yet to occur.  I’m thankful for that.   The fear of falling trees and power outages has passed.  Of course, things can change in an instant around here, so I’ll visit the news and weather soon to see what the latest prediction is.
     I did my due diligence in preparation.  We have provisions that won’t require entry to the refrigerator, all the devices and lamps are charged, but most importantly, I ground up a ton of coffee beans in case I find myself decaffeinated in the morning.   That would be perilous.
     Short Friday.  I often have enough accumulated hours in the week that I get to enjoy an early release at the end of the week.  My wife’s phone has finally reached its end of like and the battery life is measured in minutes instead of hours.  Off we went to Best Buy to get her the latest and greatest device.  At what a phone costs now, we would be better off living without it. I can do it, my wife can’t/won’t.  I often threaten to go back to a flip phone, but I get the over the glasses look of doom, so I drop it and move on.  So, here we are, four first borns and an arm and leg in debt.  The once quick and seamless transition is taking a very long time.  These days phone talk to each other to complete the set up - no cables needed.  Sadly I have terrible internet service with slow data speeds.   My old 300 BAUD MODEM was faster than this snail paced DSL service we have.  Even Matthew Broderick could have launched Global Thermonuclear War on his Apple 2 faster than these phones are updating.  Oh, technology.
     This morning I went out for a walk and was happy to see the temps in the upper 40s instead of the low 30s.  The cloud layer is keeping us warm. I went out overdressed, but didn’t care.  I was happy to not freeze.  While walking I listened to the Milk Street podcast.  I have been a fan of Christopher Kimball for decades.  He is essentially the person who taught me to cook I without a recipe.  My canvas is the pan and my palette is the pantry.  Thanks Christopher.  Today he made a comment that gave me pause.  “You woke up this morning, lots of people didn’t. Enjoy the day.”
     Something about that statement made me think.  It is never as bad as we may think and we should be happy in what we have.

Keep on truckin’
-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment