Pages

11 June 2023

Virtual Reality

Suquamish, WA - 11 Jun 2023

     Sunny Sunday and looking for ways to keep my sister in-law entertained. Today we went to see the Little Mermaid. I wasn't sure what I would think of it. The older animated version was great. Those were the days before CGI graphics took over Disney animation. Those were the days when Disney artists had very special ways of expressing themselves. I have the artwork to prove it. Anyway, the story was close to the original and the music was embellished with a few new tunes added. There was also the interesting Disney humor that could be appreciated in different ways depending on the viewer. In some scenes there was some innuendo, but the kids in the theater made it clear in their comments that they didn't catch the adult meaning. As a guy old enough to remember some of the older movies, I have to say that Disney studios still has it. 
     We wanted to take advantage of the good weather. It had been raining since Al arrived so we went to a local Italian restaurant that has outdoor seating. Since my wife and her sister ate their fill of popcorn at the theater, they opted for salad and antipasto. I, the perpetually ravenous beast, went for the house made tagliatelle. I'm a sucker for good pasta and these great wide and hefty noodles in just the right amount of bolognese sauce really hit the spot. I paired that with a nice chianti which was perfect in the breezy waterside table we had. 
     Home now and winding down. Pulled up the YouTube video of Typewriter Club live to see what their special announcement is. Looks like a typewriter themed summer camp is afoot. There is no set location. Instead a package is purchased, a kit of sorts to set up the surf camp at the location of choice. This reminds me of virtual foot races I have done in the day. The runner would sign up as in a conventional race and the race packet would be sent to the participant. The packet contained the usual finisher swag of a t-shirt and a participant medal. On the day of the race the runners would run a course of their choice. The only requirement was a valid distance. The course could be challenging or not. This would be timed with a GPS device to keep things honest and true and the results uploaded. In the end, the only thing one would have is bragging rights. I did one and I wasn't a fan. I think there is something about being present with the participants, seeing the winners receive their prizes, tossing back a beer or two and telling tales of adventure and intrigue about the competition. But, that's me. Your mileage may vary. 

Keep on truckin' 
-Mike

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid that The Silence of the Lambs has permanently spoiled the phrase "a nice Chianti."

    ReplyDelete